Tuesday, December 30, 2008

To Michael Berry: The name you are looking for is "Ed Hubbard".

Last night, this website received an email from Michael Berry, former Houston City Councilman, former mayoral candidate, and now the current radio host and AM Operations Manager of the local Clear Channel radio stations (NewsRadio 740 KTRH, The 9-5-0 KPRC, and The Sports Animal 790 KBME). In the email he stated, "I was referred to this site and asked to talk about it on my show, but after 15 minutes on the site it doesn't appear anyone is willing to sign their name(s) to anything." And that's all he wrote. Assuming that Mr. Berry's email was intended to be a criticism of those of us who are supporting the movement promoted on this site, I now want to respond to Mr. Berry, and to those who may question our motives rather than address the merits of "the Hubbard Plan."

First, I respect the general concern apparently expressed by Mr. Berry about anonymous criticisms posted on the Internet. Such postings are often the work of people who lack the courage of their convictions, or who have an improper motive. Without knowing the identity of the accuser, the victim often has no way to respond to the criticisms.

However, our political tradition has often embraced anonymous pamphleteers who attempt to speak truth to power by focusing on the merits of the debate, rather than the personalities of the debaters. The most famous of these pamphleteers were the writers of The Federalist Papers and The Anti-Federalist Papers during the debate in New York over the ratification of the Constitution. The anonymity of the debaters focused the readers of the letters published in the local papers on the merits of the debate, rather than on the personalities of Publius and Cato.

The group supporting this website had agreed, until now, that the most effective way for the grassroots of our party to consider the merits of "the Hubbard Plan" was to focus on the substance of the plan, rather than on the personalities of its drafters and promoters. We felt this approach was needed especially because of the recent history of our party, and partisan politics in general, which has witnessed some of our leaders viciously demonize anyone who challenges the status quo. One need look no further than to the vicious campaign run by a group of Republicans against Joan Huffman to see why we chose the course we did. However, we now have reached a point in this process where you have a right to know who is leading this group.

My name is Ed Hubbard. Within days of the last election, I began hearing widespread criticism voiced against the leadership of the Harris County Republican Party. Some of the criticisms I heard were valid, and some were not. However, I felt that just wringing one's hands was a waste of time, and anyone who knows me knows I'm not a hand-wringer. So, when I started hearing the post-election criticisms, I felt challenged to come up with an alternative plan for the future of the party. I sat down and, based on my recent experiences and what I had been reading others say, I developed a proposed plan for the party.

With the help of activists and precinct chairs, the plan began to be disseminated, and we then established this website and blog promoting the plan. I have promoted the plan publicly, including on a local radio program, and have made no secret of my involvement (hence the name, "the Hubbard Plan"). Although I have not written every word on this website, I have at least participated in the drafting of, or approved the drafts of, every posting on this site.

I am a life-long Republican, who cares deeply about this party: about our principles, and about advancing those principles by electing Republicans to office. You could say that I am genetically Republican, as my parents, aunts and uncles served in various capacities with the party in the state where I grew-up, and in the national party. I worked as a volunteer in Reagan's campaigns in 1976 and 1980 in Illinois, and as an intern on a successful Congressional campaign in 1980 before moving to Texas to attend law school. Over the last 25 years I've participated on local committees supporting George W. Bush's campaigns for Governor and Republican judicial campaigns. I won a contested campaign against an incumbent in the last Republican primary to run as the Republican nominee for a seat on the First Court of Appeals in the last election.

I did not write the plan posted on this website to promote myself, or to seek another office. Nor am I supporting this group because I want revenge for losing my race in the last election. Quite frankly, I was the only Republican candidate who could return to my good job in the private sector, and I was happy on November 5th just for the long campaign to be over so I could spend more time with my family. I did not want to participate in further political activity at this time, and I do not intend to ever be a candidate again for government office.

Instead, I am supporting this movement because I believe it is the right thing to do, and I have the courage of my convictions to pursue what I believe to be right. I reiterate what was said in our open letter to Chairman Woodfill, by urging all local Republicans who care about the future of our party (including the current leadership of the Harris County Republican Party) to use the links on this website to join in the discussion of our ideas, and by asking "all of you who believe you can help with the leadership of the party to step forward now, so that your fellow Republicans can consider you for leadership positions, including the chairmanship." If the current leadership embraces a new strategic direction, or if people come forward to participate in a new leadership that embraces a new strategic direction—not new principles, but a new strategic direction—I promise my support to that effort and will participate with them, if necessary, to get a plan off-the-ground. In fact, I will go one step further and make the pledge to my fellow Republicans that our ancestors made to each other and to history: the pledge of my life, my fortune and my sacred honor to the re-direction of this party so that we can elect conservatives to public office.

As we said in the open letter, if we Republicans want to accomplish the reform needed to elect Republicans in 2009, 2010 and thereafter, we have a choice to make, and the time to make that choice is now.

7 comments:

Craig Braly said...

Sometimes men bring forth great ideas to the masses, but they are incapable of implementing those very ideas. Other times men are great implementers but have no ideas. It is a rare occasion when people are blessed with leaders who are capable of implementing their great ideas. Those very few are written in the history books and are labeled as our “great leaders”.

Perhaps it is time for you to step out onto the stage Mr. Ed Hubbard, and become a great leader by implementing your own great ideas. Maybe the recent results in our elections happened so you can fulfill this necessity during this time of need. Sometimes it is only the visionary person who can implement their vision, because they are the only one who are able to see the end result painted in their mind.

When great plans are put forth before a group, it does not necessarily mean the past leader is a failure or has not performed, it just means the group is blessed to have a great leader of society come forth and share their vision and God given wisdom to help guide the masses into the future.

Sometimes society has to experience the work of the devil for us to appreciate the truths our nation was built on. This past election is one of those times and would not have ended with different results, no matter who was at the helm. Now is the time to envision the future and write our future, without altering our conservative values or principles, for it is those very ideals that have stood the test of time and have provided us with the courage to stand by them and bless us with our communities, cities, states and this great country.

There are four types of people. Those who ask, “What happened”? Those who watch things happen. Those who make things happen. And those who make great big things happen with their visionary ideas they are able to implement.

Which one are you?

If your intentions are to kick the door in, then why are you standing around waiting for someone to answer your knocking?

Ed Hubbard said...

Craig:

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, our local party does not have a specific mechanism for removing and replacing our leadership before the March, 2010 primary. Therefore, we have to build a consensus around our plan among precinct chairs and party activists in order to "kick the door in," which ultimately can only happen if a consensus of pressure forces the leadership to change or resign. Our focus has been, and continues to be on mobilizing support for this type of consensus.

Our goal is to "kick the door in" one way or another and implement change, and I am committed to lead, and participate in, that process. If we are unsuccessful in quickly forcing the door down within the formal party apparatus, we will explore other avenues for implementing the needed changes outside that apparatus before the next election cycle--but those avenues are limited. Either way, we do intend to "kick the door in."

Will you help us?

COLOR & Tailor Staff said...

yesss! I will help! Things have to change... 2010 and 2012 are being called for the democrats, we have to stop this

Anonymous said...

I am helping right now!!! things are going to change!

Fishie said...

I'm glad to see people coming on board! There's so much to be done, and it's going to take all of us. We can't sit back and wait for the party organization to tell us what needs to be done. We have to get out there and do it ourselves or prepare to be run over!

Kevin Whited said...

Michael Berry still has a radio program? Wow, who knew?

Craig Braly said...

Sometimes when you kick the front door in, the whole public notices what is happening and it shows you are completely out of control and without direction. Sometimes when you kick the back door in, only the neighbors notice what is happening. In both of those scenarios, progress is stymied because the tone of the members in the party is keeping them from working together even though we have our direction, our platform and our beliefs.

Knocking at the back door and allowing members of a group to come together at a kitchen table, in peace, to discuss a plan, which benefits all, is the professionalism and leadership I believe the public looks for in the Republican Party. And if changes must be made, I believe outgoing and incoming leaders should still be conducted without fanfare, postings on websites calling for action, and you, as the professional that I know you are, would agree, I believe, after stepping back and thinking this through.

Kicking the front door in is what needs to happen at the polls in 2010 and 2012. Knocking at the back door is what needs to happen now so we can accomplish the tasks before us and within the short time frame we have. I would be happy to sit at the table with those who want to accomplish the tasks before us to contribute any thoughts or workable ideas, but not to kick any doors in at this time.

Everyone is upset and angry because of the choices and limited action put forth to defend the correct platform that has the only real ideals which routinely create economic growth when followed. Sometimes we become complacent, and this is the end result. We are not all perfect, but now we need to stand together as we all put forth the efforts needed to win the country back. Our Freedoms will be attacked and our Liberty will be at risk, but our faith and patriotic duty will see us to victory so this great country, once again, is able to shine and be the symbol for all people in the world who seek the sweetness of freedom and who seek us out for guidance.